Tavistock Square was built in the early 19th century, initially by James Burton and then completed by Thomas Cubitt. Between them, Burton and Hewitt were responsible for many of the historic streets and squares of central London.
Located within very close proximity to Crescent Hotel of London, Tavistock Square can be reached on foot within 5 minutes. BMA House (the headquarters of the British Medical Association is on the east side of the square and Connaught Hall (a hall of residence for the University of London) can be found on the west side.
Work on Tavistock Square began in 1806, with the project being completed in the 1820s. The garden was laid out in 1825 and, although it has since been completely refurbished, much of the original layout has been retained.
More recently, statues have been installed in Tavistock Square to commemorate Mahatma Gandhi (1968) and Virginia Woolf (2004).
Tavistock Square is home to a cherry tree that was planted in 1967 in memory of the victims of the atomic bombs that hit Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It also has a memorial that honours the victims of the 7/7 bombings, which took place nearby.
Tavistock Square is extremely popular with locals and visitors alike, with many people flocking there to read books, have picnics or enjoy time with friends and family, especially during the summer months.