Cartwright Gardens is a crescent shaped park and street of the same name, located on the doorstep of the Crescent Hotel of London in Bloomsbury.
Cartwright Gardens was built between 1809-1811 and was originally known as Burton Crescent, named after the highly esteemed property developer, James Burton.
Burton Crescent (as it was originally called) was built between 1811-1817, with 37 of the original houses still standing today.
In 1908, Burton Crescent was renamed Cartwright Gardens, after Major John Cartwright, (who resided at no.37 until his death). It was renamed to reduce the negative publicity that Burton Crescent had received after 2 murders in the latter part of the 19th century.
Aside from the 37 original houses that remain at Cartwright Gardens (Crescent Hotel of London being one of them), the rest were replaced with university student accommodation in the 1940s.
That university student accommodation was refurbished in the 1960s and remained until 2014. It was then demolished and has been replaced by the Garden Halls student accommodation, which opened in 2016.
Cartwright Gardens has 4 tennis courts that are open to the public, and you will often find guests of Crescent Hotel of London enjoying a few sets.