The history of Brunswick Square dates back to 1790, though it is believed that work didn’t commence until 1801.
Named after Queen Caroline of Brunswick, the square was built by revered property developer James Burton. Although none of the original buildings exist, Brunswick Square once boasted Georgian townhouses that stretched along 3 sides of the garden.
The Georgian townhouses that once dominated the flanks of Brunswick Square are long gone, having been replaced by modern buildings that were developed for a range of uses.
UCL’s School of Pharmacy now stands to the north of Brunswick Square, while the International Hall is positioned to the south, on Lansdowne Terrace.
The Brunswick Centre offers a host of outlets, including shops, restaurants and a cinema, while the nearby Foundling Museum is a popular tourist attraction.
Brunswick Square underwent major refurbishment in 2002, with the works taking in excess of a year to complete.
The railings (which were removed during WW2 to be made into ammunition) were restored, while great measures were taken to secure the future of some of Brunswick Square’s most mature trees, the oldest of which is believed to be the original plane trees of London, dating back to 1796.