Bloomsbury Square is the oldest square in London, and was created by Lord Southampton in 1665 (it was initially called Southampton Square).
Bloomsbury Square was developed by Lord Southampton as a garden for his mansion which was located to the north of the square.
Known as Southampton House and then as Bedford House, it remained until the beginning of the 19th century when it was replaced by terraced housing which had been designed by James Burton.
It was during this period that the gardens were redesigned by the most in-demand landscape architect of that era, Humphrey Repton.
In 2003, Bloomsbury Square was refurbished, with special attention paid to the designs of Humphrey Repton. This saw the restoration of the curved paths and the replacement of the railings which had been removed for ammunition during World War II.
Bloomsbury Square is open to the public during daylight hours, with Camden Council responsible for the management and maintenance.